COMMAND HISTORY

Commander Carrier Division SIX was formed as an aircraft carrier centered command in the Pacific theater during World War II. Fifty-one Rear Admirals served as Commander, Carrier Division/Group/Strike Group SIX from August 1944 until the command was deactivated in April of 2007 after a final special shore duty deployment as Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa (JTF-HOA) in Djibouti, East Africa under Rear Admiral Michael Hunt.

During its nearly 63 years history at least four COMCARDIV SIX Rear Admirals were eventually promoted to Chief Naval Operations (CNO), the most recent being Admiral JL Holloway III (CCD-6 Aug 1970). For most of its history operated as a Task Force Command under the SECOND or SIXTH Fleet’s operational control. Its homeport was Naval Station Mayport at the mouth of the ST Johns River near Jacksonville, Florida.  Famous attack aircraft carriers assigned to the command include the USS SHANGRI-LA (CVA-38), USS FRANKLIN D ROOSEVELT (CVA-42), USS FORRESTAL (CVA-59), USS SARATOGA (CVA-60), USS INDEPENDENCE (CVA-62) and USS JOHN F KENNEDY (CV-67).

 

About Us l Command History l Membership Ap l Reunion Info l Ship's Store l Newsletters l Board of Advisors l Contact Us l Home
©2007 COMCARDIV SIX. All rights reserved. Site design by LorenaRoshek.com